Clone Church is a church ruins located in a field beside Clone House.
Documentary evidence suggests that Clone (or Cluain, meaning meadow or pasture land) was founded by St. Aidan (Culleton 1999, 204). The cult of the saints began in Europe in the late fourth and early fifth centuries when it was thought that they were intermediaries between God and man (ibid., 75). Men and women were declared saints by virtue of their holiness and miracle working powers. Church founders were also declared saints and it was not until after 1170 that papal authority had to be obtained for declaring sainthood. Thus Ireland in the Early Christian period produced many saints. Information on the Irish saints is found in various collections of Lives written in Latin and Irish from the mid seventh century to the medieval period.
With particular reference to St. Aidan, the earliest Life dates to c.1200. It is a Latin version of an earlier Irish version which is lost. Several other later Lives also survive. In the Lives Aidan is referred to as Maedog. He was born in Co. Cavan sometime before the middle of the sixth century (ibid., 103), and may have studied in Pembrokeshire in Wales, where he was ordained. When he left Wales he came to Wexford and built his first church on land given to him by a local chief (Plummer 1922, vol. 2, 205). Over the following years he is reputed to have founded churches in Wexford at Clone, Clonmore and Clongeen, as well as Ferns (Flood 1916). Aidans death is recorded in The Annals of the Four Masters as 624 (Culleton 1999, 106).
Below you will find some additional notes on Clone Church.
Additional pictures of Clone Church and other nearby archaelogical artifacts can be found by visiting the http://www.megalithomania.com website.
Clone House Accommodation
telephone + 353 53 9366113
Last Updated: June 2009